Friday, June 26, 2009

Journal#6
Mapping Students Minds
Ariel Owens (2002)



My first impression of this article was a bit sketchy. I had a little doubt about technology and students of such a young grade level. Once I began reading I instantly found a role model in Ariel Owens. She sounds like an awesome teacher, and one that has little or no fear. I myself am becoming a Science teacher, and I found this article to be very inspirational. I would love to incorporate technology and science as one and the same. The field trips and data collecting the children and Mrs. Owens do sound exciting and fun. I have a many reservations of using technology in my classroom. This is just because I am weak and unknowledgeable about technology. Technology and all of its cool educational tools do have many benefits in and outside of the classroom.


Do students benefit from using technological tools in the classroom, or do they just cause more problems?
From reading this article it sounds like these students are benefiting greatly from using computers, and other electronic gadgets. They are problem solving and also working well in groups. I believe technology is something great and beneficial for students and teachers. I hope to some day use computers and other cool gadgets with my students.

Can field trips be beneficial to students, or just a waste of time and money? My answer to this is of course field trips are worth the time and money. Students are able to see real life scenarios. This is a chance for students to learn and receive a different kind of education. An education that steers away from four walls, and pops out from the page of a text book. This is an opportunity I hope every student gets to be part of. Without field trips there would be no Museums, or Aquariums.

1 comment:

  1. Another aspect of this type of activity is an authentic context where students can see meanings in their learning.

    ReplyDelete